View Single Post
Old 08-10-2009, 09:45 PM   #5
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladeeda3 View Post
I swear... she's just like a woman... she throws a tizzy if she thinks she's not getting enough attention.

I did a search on this site but didn't see the info I am looking for.

My '98 ti manual is maybe having starter issues. Last Wednesday, she made a ferocious racket when pulling in to my parking space at work. I turned off the car, restarted, seemed to have calmed down. I was late so I pulled a Scarlett and decided to worry about it later. The racket was louder when I started the car up to go home. I lifted the bonnet to see if maybe a pulley was loose and a belt was flinging around in there. I couldn't tell what the trouble was. Turned off the car, restarted, it was still making noise but not as bad. Since I was again late, this time for the dentist, I took off. When I tried to leave the dentist the car wouldn't turn over but it made whirring noise like the starter wasn't engaging the flywheel.

I dont know if maybe the teeth are broken on the bendex or on the flywheel. Is there an easy way to inspect the flywheel?

Thanks for any input you are willing to give me.

There is not an easy way to inspect the flywheel. It does sound like the starter has come loose or missing a tooth on the bendix gear. Change that first and when you have the starter out you can look in at the flywheel and see about 4-6 inches of teeth but that's about it. I'm sure the flywheel will have some damage but should be ok if the starter is the one missing teeth or is loose. Just my 2 cents
xxxJohnBoyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote