View Single Post
Old 10-25-2004, 06:07 PM   #3
tastade

Yes, you have to like math. However, once you graduate, you may or may not use the math much. It just shows you know how to think

When I went to school, I was trying to decide between Electrical and Mechanical engineering. I decided on Electrical. My advisor told me "If you like Circuits (class) better than Dynamics (class), do electrical, otherwise do Mechanical". I hated Dynamics, loved circuits (and received a better grade in circuits), so I went electrical engineering. I told myself I would never do computer programming. Ironically, I am now a Software Engineer.

I will say that out of Mechanical, Electrical, or Computer (software) Engineering, that it is probably easiest to find work as a Computer(software) Engineer. Followed by Electrical, than Mechanical. The reason I ended up Software is that I couldn't find a job doing Electrical right after school (and that is with a Masters). So I accepted a software position, and I actually enjoy it a great deal.

The reason companies want software engineers, is there is a huge demand to move everything from hardware to software as it is much cheaper. I.e. most computer modems are now Win Modems, where most of the signal processing is done in software instead of in hardware. That is why a Win Modem costs about $15 vs $50-100 for a hardware modem.

I would go straight to the 4 year school unless it is cost prohibitive. If you go to the two year school you might lose your motivation to finish your degree after 2 years when you have to switch. Plus, not all of your credits may transfer. You have lots of time to decide which major you want to do, just make sure you take your general requirements classes first. I didn't decide on Electrical Engineering for 3 semesters, and I still graduated in 8 semesters (with Bachelors). My masters was 4 semesters. I am not trying to descourage you from Mechanical, if that is what you like, go for it.

It might be difficult to find a job with a car company right after graduation, they tend to hire experienced people, as there are a lot of applications for each job that they have an opening for. For BMW, they probably do most of their mechanical engineering in Germany anyway.
tastade is offline   Reply With Quote