View Single Post
Old 11-27-2009, 04:12 PM   #26
mohaughn

I agree with Dave, don't acid dip it. If you were building a high end road racing car that would be garage stored for most of it's life when not on a pavement track, I could see doing it, but it wouldn't be worth it for a car that will see what a rally car will.

I think snap-on sells an air tool that is intended to remove the sealant on the bottom of the car. This same tool can be used to remove all of the seam sealer so that you can weld up all of the seams on the car.

You would, also, probably be better of buying a suspension from one of the US manufacturers instead of trying to get a kit that is primarly used over in Europe. AST, JRZ, GroundControl, TCKline(koni), Moton, etc.. can all be found from very good retailers here in the US. On a budget and limited to no external resevoirs, I would go with the TcKline DA setup. You'll want to talk with them about ride heights and see about getting something different from their off the shelf solution as I think those coilovers would be to low for a good rally car. If cost is not as big of an object I would look at the AST offerings, or step up to the JRZ/Moton class of dampers.

I've got some older posts on here from when I started my HPDE project car. I've done all of the lightening stuff you're going through now, as well as my suspension has been completely redone with the TcKline setup. The car is great on solid surfaces, but probably a little to stiff and low to do any rally's with.

There is a rally school here in Florida that I've been thinking about doing a three day program with. I've got decent experience on roads, but I think the extra car control needed to drive fast in the dirt would be an awesome skill to add. The wife would also want to be my navigator.. hehe..

I've also thought about getting a trophy-lite kind of truck to do some point to point style events with. However, since I currently for 2-4 track days per month, I would have to seriously re-consider my driving time to be able to afford maintaining another dedicated track vehicle..
mohaughn is offline   Reply With Quote