View Single Post
Old 08-28-2004, 08:03 AM   #1
ElementalFiend

Exclamation Crap! Sway Bar Problem

So, my sway bar is screwed.. again.

The first time it happened was right after I had bought the car. The piece that holds the sway bar to the chassis on the right side (basically two circles with a bar in between them) snapped right in half. Don't know how it happened, just figured it out after the car start rocking back and forth cata-cornered when driving.

Now, 4 years later, its happened again. The only difference is that the connector piece, whatever its called, didn't snap. It just simply came off of the sway bar! I have no idea how this could happen, I haven't been driving my car hard.. lately. But I have been making weekend trips to Tucson and back just about every weekend for a few months (around 450 miles each time).

So now the sway bar is free to hang on the right side. It doesn't move much, but when I do hear it when I am going highway speed.

My questions are:
1. What are my chances of screwing something up worse by driving this car until I can afford to fix it?

2. Will anything else be damaged by the car being able to roll more than normal?

3. Is this something I should take in to a dealer to fix, or could this be done at any suspension shop? Or even by me?