View Single Post
Old 02-19-2007, 05:47 PM   #1
Mikelb

Default Noise? Transmission or wind?(and a couple other ?'s)

Ok,

Just to introduce myself a little, I'm Mike. I'm from NC, I just bought a '96 BMW 318Ti (found out it was a special Cali edition). I love cars, but am clueless when it comes to BMW's or other German vehicles.

I bought this car from a dealer I work for part-time. I drove the car around a bit before, and it drove out fine. I got a real good deal (I think, $4k) for it. I needed a car to drive my newborn daughter around in.

Now, I had this car and it did great. But on the second day, I was on the way to pick up some lunch, and it made a horrendous noise. I noticed that at about 65MPH it was almost unbearable. The car makes no noise up to 60, but at 65MPH (up to about 85MPH) it makes a terrible howling noise.

I talked to the dealer and he said it was wind noise from the top. I listened a little closer, and noticed it sounds as though it's coming from below the dash. I have also noted that the transmission shifts really hard when it's cold and makes a sort of grinding noise. When it's warm, there's no problems with it. I read elsewhere in the forums that this is normal.

Also, at the same time the noise started, the Airbag light came on. I don't know if they are related, but I thought I should note it.

Ok, I also have a few other tech questions.
Is there a CC light?
My cruise will work one time when I turn on the ignition. I can get it to work, but only one time; as soon as I hit a pothole, or the brakes (even the transmission shifter button) it will cease to function until I restart the car. I don't quite understand this.

I noticed the oil lights and that they denote when you should change the oil. I will be doing most of the work on this car (especially oil changes). How do I get that reset?
Mikelb is offline   Reply With Quote