View Single Post
Old 11-09-2004, 07:35 PM   #8
96cali

To me, the driving reason to get a ti was the california/open air roof and it's uniqueness in comparison to other hatches on the road. I was in the market for a VW GTI when a low milage red '96 cali top Ti came up for sale. On a whim I drove from Cleveland to Pittsburgh to test drive it, loved it, bought it and have not regretted it once. It's surprisingly good in the winter with snow tires too (Blizzaks for me). Contrary to your rumor, I have had minimal surprise repairs- the engine timing sensor went bad last summer for $300. Other than that it's been maintenance.

Coincidental to your post here I am contemplating selling my Ti for "family debt restructuring" reasons- i.e. we have a baby now and other expenses. It would come with snow tires, uninstalled OEM sport parts, etc. Been serviced by Brett Anderson at Koalamotorsport (highly and nationally respected wrench) so he could be a good reference for you. If you live anywhere near Cleveland/Toronto/Windsor it might work for you. If not, I just waxed and sealed her for winter and I'll keep on contemplating. If you want pics, send an email to ninety6cali@hotmail.com.

Good luck any way you go! No worries (even with the Toyota). Sure you want to worry about a "nice" car in college? Get a hoopdee and relax maybe?

96cali is offline   Reply With Quote