View Single Post
Old 11-09-2004, 03:57 AM   #6
aceyx

read the other thread about maintenance cost.

i'm very happy with the ti. it's great around cities (nimble, easy to park), stable on the highway, good gas mileage, and can fit quite a bit of stuff in the hatch.

in 130k miles, i've never been stranded. however, this may due to the fact that i'm a "preventative maintenance" kind of guy. take care of it, and it'll take care of you.

i'd rate the ti as quick. not fast, not slow, but quick. if you get the revs up you can get out of crappy situations, and there's also the adage: it's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than driving a fast car slowly. either way, it's adequate to have fun if you want.

the 318i has the same engine, but about 300lbs of weight people usually don't use to drag it down. steve mentioned a different rear suspension setup; the ti has the same as the z3 and the e30 m3, which some people prefer.

the 328 has significantly more grunt, but is also heavier and burns more gas than the 1.9L engines. expect more insurance out of this one (larger displacement motors usually have rates).

i personally like the interior of the ti than the sedan/coupes. it's more simple, and feels like more space. is it a better car? depends on what you need it for.

if you're susceptible to flats, the 318i and 323 have full-size spares while the ti has a donut. have a friend with terrible luck, just thought i'd throw that in.
aceyx is offline   Reply With Quote