View Single Post
Old 11-22-2019, 01:48 AM   #17
Newbomb Turk

11/21/19
As it turned out, one of the sender wires under the seat was chewed up. Absolutely baffled as to what happened. The boy drives the car everyday. When the gauge first started to act up, he would give the dash a shot with his fist over the fuel gauge, then it would work. I pulled cluster out, checked all wiring, took apart each wire connector, removed each pin connector from connector. Checked all were tight. Checked fuel gauge driver motor for visual defects. Bought new cluster, figuring it was a bad gauge driver motor, due to him being able to get gauge working with a fist bump to the top of the dash/cluster. After installing new cluster and nothing happening, I was pissed... swapped out clusters again and started looking further down the harness, behind brake pedal.
Another issue we had was a fuel vapor smell outside the car. Being that we replaced fuel pump/sender, we pulled the rear seat and round panel to check that our connections were still good on the fuel pump we had just installed, that’s when we found the sender wire chewed up..about a 1/2” missing. I guess the both of us are blind. Amazed, neither of us saw the chewed wire, which was 2” from the plug we disconnected from the pump.
I’m still trying to figure how it worked after the fist bump, with the problem being under the rear seat. Anyone need a 187k dash cluster? I have one for sale.

Last edited by Newbomb Turk; 11-22-2019 at 01:51 AM.
Newbomb Turk is offline   Reply With Quote