View Single Post
Old 01-31-2017, 06:38 AM   #89
paul somlo

Here's a tip that made the job go a little smoother: When you place the gasket on the valve cover, tie it in place with dental floss at several places around the perimeter. This keeps the gasket in place when you turn over the valve cover, especially the half moon area. After the cover is placed, the floss is easily cut and pulled out before the bolts are tightened. Leave one bolt hole on the driver's side without floss so that you can place a fastener in there loosely to keep the cover in place while you cut the floss and place the other bolts. Also, it helps to put a wrench on the flywheel bolt and turn (clockwise) until the "squares" at the back of the camshafts are at a point where they'll interfere the least. I found that the half moons tended to get hung up on them, folding them over. I did a few dry runs w/o silicone to get a feel for it. When you get the cover seated, you can reach your hand back there and easily feel whether the half moons are in place.

I saw a neat trick on YouTube regarding installation of the rubber washers on the valve cover bolts - lube the washer, place it on the bolt, then thread an M6x1 nut onto the bolt, which will force the washer over the shoulder. And by the way, when you tighten the bolts into the head, go slow - once that shoulder hits the aluminum head, they're not going any farther; that's the point where they'll strip.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1191839.JPG (81.0 KB, 37 views)
paul somlo is offline   Reply With Quote