View Single Post
Old 07-21-2006, 08:39 PM   #11
tastade

There is next to zero probability of anything catching fire from removing the filters in our cars. The dryer situation is entirely different as lint and fabric softeners are highly flammable. Dust is not. Remember the reduced air flow is what causes dryer fires, they clog up with lint causing the motor to overheat.

In our cars, not changing the filter at all and leaving it installed you will cause the fan blower to overheat which could cause premature failure (it isn't likely to cause a fire). By removing the filters entirely (or replacing regularly) you are probably better off.

I realize you are giving an informed opinion, but I also think it is overly paranoid. The amount of carcinogenic dust you breath while driving down the road is pretty negligible, you get more carcinogens from the food you eat.

A study of many other studies indicated there was no increase in risk for mesothelioma and being an auto mechanic (someone who breaths brake dust on a daily basis). Smoking is a much, much bigger problem. I am sick of mis-information about materials that cause them to get banned or heavily restricted, like lead, mecury, asbestos and other "dangerous" materials. With proper handling they are fine. Remember that asbestos has also saved many lives by preventing fires (it is an exceptionally effective fire retardant)

http://annhyg.oxfordjournals.org/cgi.../full/48/4/309

My question is thus, does removing the filters cause the AC fan to wear out faster (or any valves to clog) because of dirt build up? This could cause increased bearing wear, etc. However, most cars will pass the dirt through just fine.
tastade is offline   Reply With Quote