View Single Post
Old 10-19-2010, 12:01 PM   #13
John Firestone

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfun View Post
Thanks John. Actually, I've done a lot to the car in the week or so I've had it... considering I'm having it inspected next week and it may need other stuff....
Oh, yes, you can sense that. As what used to be called a man of positive action, I was just trying to constructively give you a hard time.

Just for fun, I surveyed my car and counted up the various refinements I have made to its electrics and electronics. If I were to start a thread with one post for every two things about the car I questioned and refined, I'd ramble on for three pages. I haven't as there are more enjoyable things to do -- such as modding the car to how I like it and getting people's reactions.

Off and on, someone muses about adding an 18-button OBC from a non-compact E36. It offers a longer list of diversions:
  • an outside temperature / freeze warning
  • the average speed
  • two average consumption values
  • the range remaining for the fuel on board
  • a speed limit warning
  • the time and distance to a destination
  • a stopwatch or park ventilation clock/timer
  • and a drive-away protection code (pretty much eclipsed by the EWS-II in later cars)
The biggest challenges could be finding a place to mount it, and the wiring. The range remaining might also be off because of the ti's different gas tank. Or it might not work at all, but that's just part of the adventure of trying something different. I'd be happy to give you the EINHEIT values from my 18-button OBC to match your M44 engine. You can use them to reconfigure a used OBC without trying to find someone to recode it.

That ScanGauge sure looks cool. It does, however, require OBD-II which didn't make it to Europe until the E46.

Last edited by John Firestone; 10-19-2010 at 12:23 PM.
John Firestone is offline   Reply With Quote