View Single Post
Old 08-07-2010, 06:51 PM   #14
Silverti

Got round to fixing these on my car today as well.

Went to the dealer to get some ordered and got the "Sorry mate can't find the part number, give us a ring on monday and we can order it for you" from the guy behind the counter (i'd written down the number but left the bit of paper at home.....doh).

That left me with some time on my hands so i pulled the bulb and socket out and had a play. I replaced just the bulb using the existing sockets.

If anyones interested:

1. Using steps above remove bulb and socket combination (Cheers sfj642)

2. To remove the old bulb get a pair of needle nose pliers and pull the silver contacts out from the socket (give them a hard tug) , this will let the bulb pull out easily. When the bulb is out push the contacts back in.

3. Buy yourself a couple of standard wedge style 12v 1.2w bulbs and bend the contacts so that they are straight from the bottom of the bulb.

4. If your bulbs are like mine they fit nicely into the socket but the contacts aren't as long as the stock bulbs and don't make a good connection. To remedy this i cut 2 inserts from a cable tie about 8mm x 2mm and pushed them into the holes with the slits on the socket (you can see the silver contacts and the bulb contacts in the hole and will understand where i mean if you have the socket infront of you). I used cable ties as the teeth on there make sure that the inserts stay in place. To be certain i also wrapped some electrical tape around where i put the inserts so that they wouldn't fall out.

5. Put everything back together (testing it works before obviously).

I know this isn't as good as buying OEM ones but kept me occupied for half an hour and got the job done.

Silverti
Silverti is offline   Reply With Quote