View Single Post
Old 05-27-2010, 03:52 AM   #12
Eric

Just a quick thank you to sfj (the OP).

I had my dash apart today (finally got the motivation with two light switch lamps out, airbag light still on, two dark spots on my gauge faces, and a high-RPM rattle behind the cluster), and pulled the two little grey light bulb-socket combos.

I had a hell of a time trying to remove the bulb from the "socket" (actually, I "successfully" removed one...), then couldn't find the part numbers listed anywhere, or a diagram (the part # embossed on the plastic is missing digits, and the diagram is listed under "switches," not "lights").

Finally decided to search 318ti forum and found the answer (and the RealOEM diagram).

Incidental details:

1. I had seen mention of the two screws holding the cluster in in some places, but also seen mention of there being four, with the additional two under the light switch escutcheons.
Naturally I tried removing all 4, then pulling the resulting assembly. I had to remove the airbag, steering wheel, and upper and lower column trim panels to do this (upper panel did not fare well), then I discovered that the cluster and the surround were two separate parts. The cluster comes out with just 2 screws, easy as pie. Duh.

2. I have seen debate regarding whether there is an additional "safety" airbag light as a backup in case the main bulb fails.
There is.
It's not light leakage from some other light, it is an actual hidden light, and it goes out (if only temporarily) when you reset the airbag light.

3. I have two spots on my cluster where it looks as though maybe a tiny internal light is out.
Its not.
There are no tiny internal lights.
The entire cluster is illuminated by three bulbs with green twist-in bases, accessible from the back. Inside there is an elaborate plastic optic system for distributing the light.
When I shine a flashlight into the light bulb areas, sure enough, there are two dark spots on the cluster, but no evidence whatsoever of damage, and no space or way for foreign matter to have gotten in and blocked the light.
Very, very strange.

4. The high beam light has driven me nuts since I got the car.
It's too darn bright on a dark road with the dash lights dimmed - burns right through my retinas.
I took the bulb out, sprayed a little black barbecue heat paint into the spray can cap and dipped the bulb into the paint about halfway up.
Now it's about right.

Thanks again, sfj!

- Eric

Last edited by Eric; 05-27-2010 at 03:54 AM.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote