View Single Post
Old 10-13-2007, 09:05 PM   #6
L84THSKY

I bought just the bulb initially. I couldn't get the bulb out of the socket. Then I bought the bulb and socket, like you show. Replacing that is easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfj642 View Post
Easier than I thought to change the bulbs, but be careful not to drop any bits or you will have to remove the under-dash cover (not difficult but nice if you can avoid having to do so).

The bulb looks like the attachments - what you have to do is to

1. remove the two switch knobs (just unscrew anti-clockwise)
2. remove both escutcheons behind the knobs (just pull off)
3. remove four self-tap screws holding the instrument cluster surround - two behind the escutcheons and the two that secure the instrument cluster
4. pull forward the instrument cluster a little so it is free, don't remove it.
5. the surround complete with lighting switches should now move forward enough to remove & replace the bulbs from the top of each switch.
6. Pull bulb out backwards (ie towards front of car) and unplug the bulb, keeping hold of the wire so it doesn't disappear.
7. check bulbs are working by turning the ignition on (the bulbs blow because they are on all the time the ignition is running, night or day).
8. carefully reassemble

Easy when you know how !

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote