View Single Post
Old 07-16-2008, 01:27 AM   #14
tomsTI

Default RD Sport Suspension Kit

I joined this forum over 18 months ago but never really had anything useful to post. There are a bunch of smart people on here that really know their stuff about the 318TI. Maybe one of these days I'll actually be able to give advice on something I discover about the E36 compact, but chances are someone here will beat me to it. I read this thread from the beginning and I actually called Ryan at RDSport. I did my research mainly on the Bilstein shocks since that is all that I really wanted. As you may all know, Bilstein makes 3 models for the E36 compact: Sport, HD, and sad to say TC. The TC model is made in China which is ironic since the model is TC (Taiwan/China) but you can't blame Bilstein for having to compete with all the other big shock manufacturers who decided to have things made in China to offer a lower price. Anyway, I told Ryan I found out about the suspension kit from 318ti.org and he sold me everything for $650.00 cash. I drove down to Orange County to meet him and installed them later that night. The ride is incredible. The drop is about 1.25 inches all around. I have the 16" Style K BMW wheels from a 328is and it tucks the tread in the rear (225/50 16). I highly doubt that the shocks are the TC model but there is truly no way of really knowing. One thing is for sure, they are engraved with "Made in Germany" and have a part number engraved as well. Unless you have a contact at Bilstein, you'll never know the truth. The springs were stamped with Racing Dynamics and a part number, that was it. The best price I got quoted for Bilstein HD's was $565 if I paid cash. I figure for another $85 why not get some springs with it. I'm giving the benefit of the doubt that these Bilsteins shocks are at least the HD's and possilby the Sports. In conclusion, I'm satisfied and happy with the ride. Take care guys.
tomsTI is offline   Reply With Quote