Thread: 135i vs lambo
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2008, 05:29 PM   #34
mohaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den View Post
Okay, it uses a piggy-back box instead of reprogramming the ECU. I have no idea of the merit of the product or the wimpiness of modern BMW drivelines. I was just pointing out that, longevity aside, miraculous power gains are possible when dealing with boost, and the 135 in the video has more than just exhaust and intake mods.

IMO, the factory tuning of 8.5 psi for 300 hp / 300 lb-ft from a 3.0-liter turbo is pretty conservative. If the tuning is due to inability of the driveline to handle more torque, well, that just seems weak compared to the robust nature of old-school BMW hardware.

These guys are running ~50% more torque on stock E28 drivelines, and the E28 is ~300 lbs lighter than the E90. Weaker drivelines on bigger, heavier cars? Technical progress?

http://www.turbochargingdynamics.com...5i_Stage_2.php
I think it is just like tuning any car. If you do something that adds an extra 100 hp, you should expect to have to upgrade other parts of the car to keep up with the extra power. If you are doing a lot of hard launches or drifting with all of that extra power, combined with really sticky tires I'd expect things to break.

I think they are amazing cars, and the tune may be conservative, but it is not a sports car... Dinan seems to make a big difference between their ECU tune, and the piggy-backs out there. Whether dinan is full of it, I don't know, I don't know enough about how those things really work.

But you know.. considering how unreliable some Lambo's can be, the agressively tuned BMW is probably still more reliable..
mohaughn is offline   Reply With Quote