View Single Post
Old 09-03-2004, 03:29 AM   #1
TiPerformance

Default Ported and polished Head with Cams

Does anyone have their cylinder head ported and polished? I am looking into aquiring a spare cylinder head to have ported and polished.

I have aquired several cam specs so I am going to talk to the local machine shop to see if my cams can be re-ground and which of my specs will work best.

I am hoping to pick up a complete spare cylinder head for around $250 so I can start this project. That way I can have the cams ground and the head all done so I can still drive the car.

Does anyone know what the stock BMW cams are made of? I am hoping that they are ground from a solid piece of metal and not the Press on type lobes.

As for the porting and polishing goes, I am going to probably gasket match and then have some of the combustion chamber also ported, but just mildly. I am going to try to have a guy that I know port the intake and exhaust ports with a CNC mill by programming in the gasket as the template and then hand polish everything.

The only thing that I am concerned about is proper tuning after everything is done. Hopefully I can adjust everything without having to have the computer reprogrammed. I am hoping that I can use a AFPR to get the air fuel ratio in tune and the that computer doesn't flip out.

I was looking into getting an exhaust and intake and maybe a shark injector, but that was going to cost me about $800+ where I figure I can do this for around the same price and produce better gains.
TiPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote