View Single Post
Old 05-16-2017, 06:24 PM   #51
Strawman

This is a lot more work than I originally anticipated, but I'm learning a lot. Over a four-day period, I managed to build the booth (1-1/2 days!), block sand the entire car, re-prime (using etching primer where sanded through to metal followed by PCL high-build Polyprimer/surfacer) a few spots, and will finish block sand again in the next few days. I started with 220 sandpaper, followed by 320, 400 and 600. I use a variety of Dura-Block sanding blocks and cut sandpaper from pre-sticky rolls through 400, and cut sheets for the final 600 sanding.

I used Bulldog adhesion promoter on all plastic and weird-shaped pieces (bumper covers, skirts, mirrors, fuel door, license plate lights cover, etc.), followed by PCL Polyprimer. I also primed the metal front nose piece.

The "booth" works reasonable well, although I ended up turning down the three Home Depot-special intake box fans to the second-highest setting while keeping two exhaust box fans on high. It provides a slightly positive pressure in the booth, while clearing the paint fog pretty quickly. I always blow out the booth with an air nozzle, followed by a heavy-mist spray of water on the floor. For lighting, I've got three ceiling-mounted 8-foot dual tube fluorescents, as well as two 4-foot dual tube fluorescents mounted down low on the sides (outside the booth). I realized last night that I needed more light at the back, so I set-up two LED work lights mounted on a telescoping pedestal. I use a 3M respirator and clear eye protection for primer/base spraying, but will use a supplied-air full mask when shooting the clear (bought it on Craigslist for $50 including the compressor!) because the isocynates are apparently deadly.

My plan is to spray color and clear next weekend. I'll post more pics as I make progress...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name:	outside looking in.jpg Views:	122 Size:	51.3 KB ID:	16857   Click image for larger version Name:	spray gun.jpg Views:	113 Size:	79.7 KB ID:	16858   Click image for larger version Name:	paint materials used.jpg Views:	120 Size:	110.1 KB ID:	16859  

Click image for larger version Name:	toward in-fans.jpg Views:	118 Size:	69.1 KB ID:	16861   Click image for larger version Name:	toward out-fans.jpg Views:	121 Size:	61.9 KB ID:	16862  
Sleeper Calypsorot 1996 318ti tintop. CA-legal swapped S52 from '98 M3, and ZF transmission with lightened flywheel/clutch. Magnaflow 2-into-1 muffler. Six-cylinder Eibach springs in front and 318ti H&R Sport springs in rear. Koni Sport adjustable dampers all around. Racing Dynamics 28mm & 19mm swaybars. M3 front hubs/brakes, E34 rear calipers, braided SS brake lines, Hawk HP-S pads. DS-II wheels. Polyflex purple bushings throughout, and factory lower x-brace. Fan delete mod. Engine mount reinforcements welded-in. 3.25 LSD rear diff from E28 & E30 axles.

Last edited by Strawman; 05-16-2017 at 10:54 PM.
Strawman is offline   Reply With Quote