View Single Post
Old 10-19-2016, 10:23 PM   #28
Bwwaaaa

I was waiting for some good news before I updated the thread, but I'll post what I have now.

I pulled the motor and trans for the sedan, as well as a few other parts that I could part out. I knew the thing had a hard life, but the deeper I dug into the car, the more I worried about the actual drivetrain.

The story the guy I bought the donor car from gave me, was he bought the car, it ran fine but it had a bad fuel pump and he couldn't work on it. There were signs that they had started the fuel pump, and a new one was sitting in the car. He also claimed he put in the battery backwards and fried a few things, something I was less encouraged about. I figured in the worst case scenario, I could still part out the car and make my money back. So out came the motor, I sold the ZF (as I already have one ready to go) and a bunch of small bits that I had no use for. I was in only $100 for the motor and harness at this point.

Sure enough though, the guy had lied to me, a leak down test revealed a blown head gasket and a failed exhaust valve on cylinder one. Opening up the motor, 3 of the cylinders were seriously scored, and one piston was pretty pitted. The oil that came out was chocolate milk. Not the best photo, but you get the idea. When I confronted the seller about this, he said (and I quote) "I said it ran, I never specified to what degree".

This is definitely on me, I should have figured with the condition of the rest of the car, this was a likely possibility. I was so excited about the swap, I didn't think things through when picking up this car. If I didn't rush things I probably would have walked away from the sedan.

Luckily I'm not out any money after the part out, and I have some useful parts for the swap as well as my other ti shell (front subframe, steering rack, etc). I have calipers for a brake upgrade, and some other spare parts from the motor. Things still worked out for the better, just not for the swap.

Currently I'm searching for another M52, and this time I only need a longblock as I have a harness and all the accessories now. Hopefully I'll have some better news soon. Definitely a bummer, but just a temporary set back.

@speedlimitless
1998 318ti Build

Last edited by Bwwaaaa; 10-19-2016 at 10:25 PM.
Bwwaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote