View Single Post
Old 09-16-2008, 12:22 AM   #2
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TI-driftin View Post
Any ideas why my idle drops when i turn my headlights on?

Is it possible that the ICV needing replaced could affect my idle dropping when i turn my headlights on or is it something else?
Possible, yes. Likely, no. First off, do you have an aftermarket stereo system with amps and subs? If so, try disconnecting the system from the battery, or simply pull the fuse and see if the problem persists. Second, are your headlights OEM or aftermarket such as Depo's, ZKW's or Apexcones? Shouldn't matter either way as the bulbs draw close to the same amount of power, but there may be an abnormal drain somewhere in the system if you've swapped them out. Also, your alternator might test good even though it's on it's way out. If it's the original alternator, there's a good chance that the brushes and/or voltage regulator are worn. If you have a multimeter, check that it's putting out a steady 13.5v-14v at the back of the alternator, then check the voltage at the battery. 11v-12v IS NOT ENOUGH. Sometimes shops will see that it's putting out 12v and say that it's good when in fact it requires a little more juice for our cars. Finally, I would recommend checking your main engine ground. It's just behind your passenger's side front wheel well. You'll have to access it from under the car. There's a wire that connects the passenger side motor mount to the chassis. Check the continuity of that wire, maybe take it off and clean it with a wire brush. Check continuity of all the wires in the vehicles charging system for that matter and report back. Good Luck.