View Single Post
Old 09-27-2009, 10:32 AM   #481
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidertri View Post
Yeah, I know, but what I mean is that on a stock M3 with ET41 DSIIs, Contours, etc. which have the wheels 20mm closer how is this not an issue?

Perhaps it is in the design of the 5? The wheel center stays in place relative to a DSII but the barrel is pushed out further which gives it that nice lip and effectively changes the offset. I think I answered my own question...
Hahaha, I must have racked my brain for atleast an hour on this one. I get what you're saying about offset, I think the reason it's so close is due to the design of the style 5 spokes. They could of just as easily made them thinner, but I think they just had the 5 series brakes in mind. I also think that the only reason they rubbed on my M3 calipers is because the pads are brand new. The calipers are self-centering which means that when I apply the brakes, the caliper gets drawn towards the rotor and centers itself on the carrier. As the pads wear down, the caliper should gain more clearance from the wheel spokes. But yeah, since the offset is a full 20mm lower than 3 series wheels, you'd think that there should be that much more clearance. M3 calipers are just too big and were never intended to run with 5 series wheels.

Last edited by cooljess76; 09-27-2009 at 10:35 AM.
cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote