View Single Post
Old 10-03-2008, 03:26 AM   #11
hatchgrafix

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel318ti View Post
yes I'm very aware of my high ratio situation. I need to know about the halfshafts. there are hybrid shafts put together from e30 and Ti parts. I'm asking if I can use my stock shafts with the 3.73 diff.
If using E30 diff, you have to use E30 axles, unless you want to try and put e30 and ti axles together somehow like others have, but just the e30 axles worked for me! Mine is a 95'

Ok, first off I used e30 axles, you need to remove your ABS sensors and make either a spacer, or completely remove them like I did. I hate ABS but thats preference. It was a bigger job on mine as the one axle I had wasn't re manufactured very well. The splines were dipped with too much coating and it wouldn't slide into the wheel hub well.

I also forgot to put the grease in between the axle and the differential, so after about 100 miles it started making terrible noises, and I thought my diff was bad, it was just binding on the CV joint. Added the grease, and it's been 6k miles about since, no issues.

The E30 diff and axles have larger bolt holes for bolting the axles to the diff, (you can't use the TI bolts!!) figure out what size and run to a hardware store and purchase some hardened bolts and nuts (be sure to measure the length because you don't want them too long, likewise too short.

Also the larger case diff didn't quite fit, the top of the case near the diff bushing will hit the mounting rail unless you A) cut out a section of the metal rail, or B) hit it with a giant hammer to make room. I used option A, and cutting it hasn't seemed to effect the car in anyway, but if I did it again I wouldn't do it that way.

I was by myself and I had the diff part way in, so I didn't want to drop it back down to pound the metal for more room. E30 diffs are heaaavy!

Any questions just ask.

425+ whp @ 15psi TurboCannon

http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthrea...t=22754&page=2
hatchgrafix is offline   Reply With Quote