View Single Post
Old 10-07-2011, 08:55 PM   #29
hotmilk400

i am not sure. i would doubt it is the same. even if it is the same, they change the colors they use often, so you might be trying to wire it up and you might end up matching to colors. the best way to know for sure is to look at a wire diagram for the manual 96 you have and compair to the wire diagram of a 98 auto.

as a side note, i would not be ready to part with the wires yet, at-least not until the motor and inside is gone. after that, i would consider it, but it would be hard since those wires run all over the place. you would have a better chance getting the wire diagrams and just follow the PO's wires to make sure they match.

also, you can totally ignore the OBD 2 port and use the port under the hood (next to the fuse box) it is the port they use in Europe since they do not have OBD2 ports like in the USA. (those ports are USA mandated, cars worldwide do not have them) BMW shops and dealers have the tools to read from that port (and you can get them online) but it might be harder to find a shop for inspection unless you tell them ahead of time.

doesn't your OBD2 port work at all? will it pass inspection if the mechanic hooks up the tool to it? i would suspect if there was a problem the car would fail due to not being able to be read with the tool.

Green Your Decor with the Aspect! Shop for the Grow Light Used by Interior Designers, Growers & People Like You!
hotmilk400 is offline   Reply With Quote