View Single Post
Old 05-15-2006, 02:15 PM   #12
TiTime

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-technik_ti
The Bmw OEM M3 bumper is made from Polyurethane. However, construction quality varies between bumpers, so don’t expect OEM quality from these bumpers even though they are made from the same material. You also need to consider fitment; many replica bumpers have poor fitment which can lead to the bumper sagging and large gaps between the bumper and the nose panel. Bodyshops may be able to fix this issue to some degree, but be ready to pay for it. If you are not willing to go for OEM, I highly recommend that you go for the Rieger bumper; at least that way you know what you’re getting.

To address the other questions; generally, ABS plastic is more susceptible to heat, but I’ve only ever seen problems occurring on ABS constructed side-skirts. You may have fitment problems if you live in an area with big temperature differences. The skirts will expand when hot and shrink when cold. On a positive note, ABS is more flexible than polyurethane and of course, fiberglass, which is the most rigid of the three.

When comparing the weight difference between a Rieger M3 ABS plastic bumper, a polyurethane OEM M3 bumper and an m3 replica fiberglass bumper, the Rieger is the lightest, followed by the fiberglass, then OEM M3.
Thanks for all the info. This will help me a lot.
TiTime is offline   Reply With Quote