View Single Post
Old 06-04-2007, 08:36 PM   #8
cosmos schwarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
I think I'm going to have issues one way or another. Currently, with the S52 motor installed, the driveshaft is sourced from an M Roadster. They kept the stock 3.45:1 diff at the time. That may or may not cause issues for me when I am replacing with the lsd.

I was originally planning on installing a new e30 bushing kit on my 'ti half shafts. I am now thinking I should just get the complete E30 half shafts.

I am lowered by probably 1.5"-2" in the rear. I really need the geometry of the rear to remain in tact, as I'm running very wide tires on 17x9's on the track. I defintiely have no room to move anything either inboard or outboard, wheel-wise.

One weird thing is that this car has 40,000 miles on it since the S52 was installed, and that stock open diff is rock solid still. Also, this S52 has an intake, exhaust, power pulley, and Turner chip. So, it's putting out double the output of the stock 318ti motor. That's a true testiment to the longevity and built quality of the stock open diff internals!

Thanks for the info, Cosmos.
driveshaft ,or propshaft, wont make any difference as long as its sized for a compact. all the e30, z3, ti diffs are the same length from the subframe mounting bolts to the driveshaft coupling. the differences are the length from the subframe mounting bolts to the rear of the diff (diff cover end) hence needing to do a bit of grinding or hammering, and the width, hence the need to change the halfshafts. when doing your swap and you change to shorter e30 halfshafts there will be no change to the rear track. there wouldnt be anyway, if you stayed with the std ti shafts, so that shows how much strain they would be under.

E36 3.0 M3 Cosmos Schwarz
E36 1.8 318ti Cosmos Schwarz
cosmos schwarz is offline   Reply With Quote