View Single Post
Old 12-15-2014, 06:04 AM   #85
projekt EPiK

I posted back in 2/2010 about this repair, which I had actually done in 11/2009 when I first picked the car up at 170k miles.

Lately I have been noticing an ever increasing leak, so since it is about 55k miles later, just shy of 225k, I figured maybe it was time again. Bought the gasket and bushing and popped them in there. Still leaking.. actually worse now. Terrified that maybe I got sidetracked and put the bushing in backwards, I pulled it apart again today. Nope. Done right. I always second guess myself. I did find some grit that was kind of hanging out by the top of the housing, and under the bushing, so I figured that maybe it got in between. I cleaned it all super well, degreased everything again and let it dry. I even used some spray copper on the gasket. Put the housing back on, and fired up the car again. Within a few minutes it was seeping again.

Once again I pulled it apart. Super clean this time. Everything was seated well so I cleaned the oil out and looked deeper. That is when I found it. The o-ring INSIDE the housing. This ring actually creates the seal to the bushing..and boy was it dry and hardened. In fact it was so dried out that it cracked when I pulled it out.

So boys and girls and fellow DIYers..take my advice. Replace that 24x3 o-ring also when you do this job.

I can't be mad though. The car is just shy of 225k miles, and that o-ring is original. As I said earlier, I had already replaced the gasket and bushing 55k miles before..lol and it still hung in there for another 5 yrs!!
]

Last edited by projekt EPiK; 12-15-2014 at 06:20 AM.
projekt EPiK is offline   Reply With Quote