View Single Post
Old 09-23-2009, 03:04 AM   #38
CirrusSR22

Default Work Update

Last winter I started having trouble with very cold starts with my ti. I think I tracked it down to a vacuum leak somewhere, so I just did work to fix that. Since it involves taking the engine apart, like doing the cooling system, I highly recommend replacing the following parts while you're in there as they are rather cheap.

The goal for this project was to replace every vacuum hose and o-ring that could lead to a vacuum leak in cold weather.

Parts:
• Fuel Injector O-Rings: 13641743377 (4x)
• Fuel Line O-Ring (replace, as long as the fuel rail is off): 13531247953
• DISA O-Ring: 11611437690
• Vacuum hose between the intake boot and injector vacuum hose "Tree": 13411247782 (no ASC part#)
• 3' of Goodyear 5/16" (7.9mm) Fuel/Emission Hose, Auto Zone. Approx $1.19/ft.
http://www.goodyearep.com/productsdetail.aspx?id=10526

• 1' of Goodyear 5/16" (7.9mm) Fuel Injection Hose, AutoZone. Approx. $3.39/ft
http://www.goodyearep.com/ProductsDetail.aspx?id=5144
-----------------

I replaced the roughly 3" segment of fuel-rail hose with the Goodyear Fuel Injection hose. As you can see from the link above, it's a special high pressure, specially lined hose just for fuel injection supply. Do not use the standard fuel hose. That's for the vacuum work.

The top hose is the higher quality injection hose and the bottom is the emission hose.

--

Here's the new Goodyear injection hose on the left next to the little segment that connects to the fuel rail. This is an optional step, but it's worth it when you're in there. I think this hose can also be used when replacing your fuel filter. I know the hose at my fuel filter connections is in bad shape.

--

Next I replaced the fuel injector o-rings that seal the injector to the manifold. Surprisingly my injectors are MUCH cleaner at 185,000 than they were at 158,000 when I did the orginal project. I've been using the new BP gas with Invigorate a lot lately. Maybe that actually works?

--
Old, squished O-ring.

--

New, fresh o-ring, lubed with brake caliper grease. I hear that's a good choice for injectors since it's rubber safe.

Last edited by CirrusSR22; 09-25-2009 at 01:40 AM.
CirrusSR22 is offline   Reply With Quote