View Single Post
Old 01-02-2015, 11:06 PM   #17
MINIz guy

Vehicles

Contacted Diffsonline per the recommendation of Ireland Engineering.

They told me that BMW never offered 168mm parts for the E36 differential. I guess there is a 21T and 23T difference that Ireland Engineering didn't know about. Drexler is the company that still makes the clutch discs and dog ear plates for the 168mm small case differential. Diffsonline sells each clutch disc for $65, so a better price than Bimmerdiffs at $76 each.

I also have a strong feeling that the dog ear plates are still the same from the E21 to the E36. Bimmerdiffs doesn't differentiate between 168mm dog ear plates, and there is only one part number for them in all E21 years. When I tackle this project in the spring, I'll call up my local BMW dealership and ask about their return policy. If they allow for returns, I'll buy new dog ear plates using the E21 part number and compare it to the plates I remove from my LSD unit.

I'm not sure if clutches are NLA. The E21 ones can be ordered by ECS Tuning and the part numbers on RealOEM don't have anything signifying the part has "ENDED". I haven't bothered to call and verify as I'm 5 months away from doing this project. It also is a moot point since it seems that you cannot use E21 clutches on the E36 168mm differential.

2000 M5 -> 1996 318ti -> 1997 328i
Instagram: ndrewchow YouTube: MINIzguy
MINIz guy is offline   Reply With Quote