View Single Post
Old 03-27-2017, 05:15 AM   #6
ElmoPerkins

All new o-rings for the injectors. Cleaned up nicely and look like new.

"Squid" installed. Worst part of the job imo.

ICV with new hoses in place. Used hose clamps to make sure no leaks. Might be overkill but not taking any chances.

New genuine CCVV with hoses since the old one had no o-ring when I took it off. Also was leaking during the smoke test.

Upper intake is back on!

T-body back on! Getting close!

And she is all back together and running!

Looking good!

Not too bad for over 200k miles.

Before setting off on the test drive, I let it run for a good 30 minutes. I had to keep my foot on the gas to keep it from stalling. It runs smooth. But it will not idle. The AFM has been adjusted before I owned it so its not factory set. I fiddled with it some and once up to operating temp, it seems to hold idle at 800 with no problems.

I fired it up the next morning to find the same thing. Fires up and stalls. Have to keep my foot on the gas to keep it alive. While it was still cold, I disconnected the ICV and the idle revs up to around 1000-1100 rpm. Now the check engine light is on most likely from the ICV disconnection. While running, I plugged the ICV back in and the Rpms drop and the engine almost stalls again. Disconnected it and engine come back to stable idle. I readjusted the AFM with the ICV disconnected to lower the rpms back down to 700-800 rpm.

Went for a test drive with no issues. Car no longer hesitates at WOT and power is smooth and linear. Coming to a stop with clutch in. Idle stabilizes around 900-1000 rpm. It's a bit high but at this point, I'm not sure why the engine can run better with the ICV disconnected. I bench tested it and with 12v applied it activated to closed position. No power and it springs open but not very much. The opening is much smaller than the ICV I'm used to seeing on a E46. Not sure if this is Bc of 4cyl vs 6cyl and more cylinders need more air to idle theory.

At this point, I'll leave the ICV disconnected until I can do more tests and check some sensor telemetry with the diagnostic system at work. Good thing about being a BMW tech, I get the latest and greatest version of ISTA. Yeah it still works on the old stuff but info is limited.

What do y'all think about this idle issue? Brain storm requests would be appreciated. Thanks for checking out my project.