View Single Post
Old 03-13-2007, 03:32 PM   #7
96cali

Good advice zboot.

At the U. of Cincinnati we spent 3/5 years co-oping every other quarter. You are miles ahead of other students whether you get into BMW, Frito Lay, or anyone else on your list. Don't be afraid to look into consultancies as well because, typically, the smaller the org the more responsibility they throw at you and projects move faster (i.e. you have something to show at the end of your internship). No matter where you go ask if you can take a few pics from time to time and build a portfolio. Blows people away to see what you actually did (seems like proof in their minds). Of course pics only work if it's not top secret.

For the interview cover the basics- get a $100 suit that fits, shine your shoes, get a haircut the week before, practice smiling and remembering names. Like zboot said they know you are a student with little experience so what you bring to work is enthusiasm, responsibility for completing simple tasks and a cooperative attitude. I have been both an intern and in charge of them and sometimes it's more work than benefit for the employer. The ones that are worthwhile are either pretty talented or just helpful and enthusiastic. If you exhibit attitude you better have a Leonardo DaVinci portfolio to back it up.

Showing off your car will help you stand out and make an impression but also do some research on the X3, X4 and whatever else they make there. Can you take a tour beforehand? There were a couple interviews with Chris Bangle in the last few days- CNN I think, there are threads on bf.c- where they discuss the H7 hydrogen car. Are you good at modeling in CAD? Try modeling a shift lever or something. Express some interest in design because you will be working hand in hand with designers (like me) not just engineers. BMW American Design is part of DesignWorks USA in L.A.

http://www.businessweek.com/autos/co...005_473123.htm

I think you have a great chance based on enthusiasm but your coursework matters a lot too. Can't help you there- I dread my daughters future calculus.

96cali is offline   Reply With Quote