View Single Post
Old 11-25-2006, 05:33 PM   #2
mooseheadm5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnine View Post
On my way home last night, accelerating (moderately) out of a stop sign, between 1st and 2nd (manual 5-speed), my rpm's rev'd up and I realized I wasn't in gear. I then realized that no matter what gear I was in, depressing the clutch seems to do nothing though the clutch pedal feels no different than it ever has. However, I'm in constant neutral.

What happens when a clutch actually "goes out." I would have to imagine that the clutch just gradually stops gripping. It doesn't seem like that.

What happens when you bust a clutch cable? It would seem to me the opposite. That if it was in gear, it would engage and wouldn't disengage.

I installed a short shift a couple years ago. It seemed then that it touched the driveshaft barely when I was in reverse. I always wondered if it would eventually sever the selector rod. Could it be that I've busted my shift linkage? That would explain constant neutral as moving the shift lever would never actually put it in gear.

Any help would be appreciated. My car's parked on a quiet street so I might take some jack stands down later today and lift it and have a look. Any insight as to what I might look for or consider beyond what I've mentioned would be appreciated.

Thanks!
This car has a hydraulic clutch, so no cable. Does the shifter feel like a spoon in a bowl of pudding? If there is no positive engagement of the shifter into the gates, the selector rod is suspect. If the clutch pedal goes to the floor with no resistance the hydraulics are suspect. If these are OK and the car will simply not go into gear, you have clutch problems related to the pressure plate/flywheel/friction disc assembly which requires tranny removal. If that's the case, off to your local independent BMW shop.
-Paul
mooseheadm5 is offline   Reply With Quote