View Single Post
Old 02-08-2006, 06:26 PM   #14
snwbrdrbum10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Marx
Y'all are whacked.

First, it is possible to say BMW hasn't used lug nuts since 1976 (1977 in Europe if you count the 1502). It is not correct to say BMW has never used nuts.

Second, no E36/5 ever left the factory with studs and nuts. They all had bolts. Any 318ti with nuts and studs had them added by a previous owner.

Third, they don't attach to the brake rotor but to the hub. The rotor is on the hub, too. There's no difference in rust problems with studs versus bolts since most wheels are hub-centric anyway and the dissimilar metals (cast steel hubs and alloy wheels) should be coated with never-sieze regardless. If it takes you longer to put a wheel on with bolts as opposed to studs, you're either too slow or you need to use the pin (part no. 71111093774) in every BMW tool kit designed to both help turn the spark-plug wrench and also to fit in the hub to hold the wheel while you install the lug bolts.
Um, no, there is rust problems, and i think i said pretty much what you did. but i gues we're all whack and you know everything