View Single Post
Old 11-18-2015, 05:18 AM   #9
Deeznutz

Made some more progress this past week, things kinda came to a standstill when I found out I had the wrong wiring harness. So this was the deal, I had a obd2 harness from a 1999 donor car, all e36 engine harnesses made after 11/98 are considered a late model style harness. it seems that bmw changed the style of the crank position sensor after November of 1998 harnesses made after those years were updated with a newer style crank position harness connector. Since I am running a s50 which originally is an obd1 motor I had to use a special crank position sensor that was used on the European model E 36. The connector for that sensor is square and the same as earlier model obd2 harnesses. After sourcing another harness that I can use, work resumed as usual. You may be asking yourself why didn't I just switch the connector from one harness to the other or just make my own connector? If it was as easy as splicing a couple of wires together I would have just done that, the thing is when BMW updated the new sensor they also changed the power requirements to that sensor and how it talks to the ECU and the operating voltage for the crank position, it uses 12-volt signal now, so they had to create an adapter harness for the older model e36s in order to make that new sensor work.

I was also able to service my 3.23 lsd that I got for the build. I ordered all condor mounts and bushings for the car and was able to pressed in the diff bushing. Now some pictures
That's crank trigger sensor I'm using

m50 intake manifold with vac port installed
diff serviced cleaned and new bushing pressed in
my power steering lines and cooler to replace stock bits
picked up a used dipstick obd2
finally got a mtech bumper to use, needs to be painted
also have this on the way I had the stage 2 in my e30 and thought it wasn't aggressive enough for my driving so gonna try stage 3

Sent from my SM-T817T using Tapatalk

Last edited by Deeznutz; 11-18-2015 at 05:27 AM.
Deeznutz is offline   Reply With Quote