View Single Post
Old 04-10-2015, 07:34 PM   #15
blackjulia

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubear334 View Post
The Ti is a piece of cake compared to my other project car....a VW Vanagon Westfalia. You could spend the rest of your life and paychecks fixing that thing. I could only tell you the stories. If you ever buy one, keep an xtra $8k on hand for a new engine. Everyone outside of CA ditches the wasserboxer and puts in a Subaru. In fact, the hottest conversion right now is a Subaru flat-4 diesel. Yes, that right diesel.

STu
Just bought a `98 Ti ... only have a few hundred miles on it thus far, but have 100,000 miles on various Vanagon Westfalias :^) They're really magnificent in terms of engineering simplicity, etc., though the stock engine can be problematic. I'm on my 5th one I think ... Subaru gas engine conversion in this one and it makes all the difference in the world. The California Air Resource Board has approved the Kennedy Engineering conversion for use in California, so that's been an option for folks in CA for awhile (and the Subaru diesel engine conversion is exempt from smog checks in CA). I've not seen many of the diesel conversions, however, as the engines are somewhat hard to come by.

Otherwise, I'm hoping this Ti is as trouble-free as every other old BMW I've owned. It's destined to be passed on to one of my boys when he turns 16 (or rather, he'll have the opportunity to BUY it at a discount ;^)
blackjulia is offline   Reply With Quote