View Single Post
Old 10-19-2014, 04:16 AM   #2
BimmerBum

Vehicles

Just do an easy rebuild to the 3 clutch and you will be happy. From what I understand, probably happier than you would be with the torsen. I am installing a torsen diff into my swapped ti but when a medium case LSD in the right ratio falls into my hands I will go with that.

Don't feel like you lost, you still got a great diff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenwrichards View Post
So, picked up a 60k mile 3.15 LSD from a March 1998 build Z3 2.8 this morning and couldn't wait to pry the thing open on the drive home ...

Got home and opened it up to find ...

... it's a Clutch Pack and not the Torsen that I was looking for. Thought I was pushing it with a 1998 Z3 as I had read either 1) that all 6-cylinder Z3s had a Torsen or 2) that they began in 1999. Should've done my homework. Gambled and lost. Sigh. Part of me wants to just keep the diff and move on with my life but I was really looking for a Torsen and I don't want to swap diffs again down the road.

It's also worrying me that I can easily spin the flanges in opposite directions by hand ... does that mean i need to rebuild or will it not lock up if it's drained / not on the car?

Any help appreciated.

SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE!
Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!

www.BimmerBum.com ALL NEW!
318ti Specific Parts For Sale
www.facebook.com/BimmerBum

BMWCCA #132203
95 318ti Club Sport
98 318ti Active S50 Swap

BimmerBum is offline   Reply With Quote