View Single Post
Old 03-25-2014, 02:49 AM   #8
R111S

Default Leaking Trasmission Cooling Lines replaced

Notes from my MSWord Logfile:

22FEB2014 - @160,781 Miles the Transmission Cooler Lines are obviously leaking at the rubber hose sections near the Radiator and again I had to add ~1 Quart of Redline D4-ATF to the Transmission due to sluggish shifting into 1st gear when rolling up to a stop. I then went for a short test drive and the Transmission shifted normally. I ordered new Transmission Cooler Lines (2 ea.) with new O-Ring Seals (4 ea.) from Pelican Parts – Total cost including shipping: $344.50.

23MAR2014 - @161,652 Miles I replaced the leaking Transmission Cooler Lines. I used 4 new O-Ring Seals and Ty-Wrapped the Lines to what was left of the two broken Routing Clamps. I refilled the Transmission Sump with ~1 Quart of Redline D4-ATF. A short test drive confirmed there are no leaks and the Transmission shifts smoothly.

These lines were somewhat difficult to remove/install. I cut open a 19mm Box-end Wrench (used a Diamond Saw) in order to unscrew/rescrew the Lines where they connect to the Transmission Ports – a 19mm Crow-Foot would not fit in the tight confines of the rearmost line fitting. Fishing the lines in/out of the maze of frontend components was a challenge – had to extract/install them from the back (takes photos before you start). Remove short line first then long line second. Install long line first then short line second. Rotating (screwing?) the lines helped snake them through. Make rear connections first, then front. I also had to remove the “Crossover” Bar (BMW P/N: 51-71-8-135-880) to allow the Lines to drop out.

Engaging the threads of the rearmost fitting (long line) into the Transmission housing port was difficult to get correct due to tight space constraints/correct positioning...be very careful and pray to God for help!...cuz if you ruin the threads of the Transmission Port...you'll be suddenly less wealthy.

BMW Part Number List:
17-21-1-742-636 (2 ea. O-Rings-Radiator)
17-22-1-439-747 (Inlet Line)
17-22-1-439-748 (Outlet Line)
17-21-1-742-636 (2 ea. O-Rings-Trans)
R111S is offline   Reply With Quote