View Single Post
Old 09-03-2013, 03:04 AM   #1
MINIz guy

Vehicles
Default Refresh and autox prep

I have a lot of time that I should be using to study, but I'm going to take a break and ask a few questions.

I need to refresh the whole suspension on my 318ti and get it autox friendly. I plan to compete in STX class, so I will be going coilovers and urethane bushings. My budget won't allow for GC coilovers, so I will most likely get BC Racing or Fortune Auto branded ones.

My plans for the front suspension are Meyle HD control arms, and Lemforder tierods. Now should I get offset or centered urethane bushings? I don't know the difference besides one giving me more caster, but how much do I need for an autox car, especially since I have camber plates? Also, what brand is good and what durometer rubber?

The rear suspension is more controversial. Some say to keep the stock rubber as urethane doesn't deflect and wears out fast. Others say to go urethane in both the subframe and RTABs for autox. So, now that it is 2013, what RTAB and subframe bushing should I get?

If I do get urethane subframe bushes, I have access to the subframe bush removal tool from BMW (thanks to BMWCCA!). Will I be able to put on the urethane bushes without dropping the subframe?

I also need to do a diff bushing. I'm guessing stock will do though, right?

And my final question; what is the best shop manual to buy for the 318ti? Bentley manual? Haynes?
MINIz guy is offline   Reply With Quote