View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013, 03:22 AM   #6
GoTiGo

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbec View Post
I think that this is the main complaint with the Raceland CO's. I'm not sure if it is specific to the knock-offs (Raceland, Rokkor etc..) or this may just be the case with all coilover set-ups to some degree or another since they are all basically the same concept.
On my set-up there is probably about 1/4" of clearance between the tire and coil over strut (Raceland), I am running 215/40/17, Sport Edition A7 rims 17"x8.5" wide (not sure of offset) and there is no rubbing. Just got lucky with the rim/tire combo I guess.

Raceland sells spacers to address this: Raceland Website

Spacers are a little tricky because when you add them it changes the suspension geometry depending on offset you need and you are pushing the tires closer to the fender which can also cause rubbing. Installing longer bolts/studs is also suggested with this option depending on the offset.

I've also heard of people removing the keeper spring (the smaller spring on the bottom) and running the adjuster nuts up to get rid of the rubbing problem. I don't know how well this works, but I've seen it out there as a potential solution too.

Getting a set of M3 rims that are staggered is also a solution, but then you have a staggered set-up which means that you can't rotate the tires because the rear is wider than the front. But, you can run some fat meats where it counts and more narrow tires up front to get the suspension clearance your looking for...
Stock style 18's on the sport are et46, I used 12mm spacers from H&R which did the trick and brought my fronts down to 34 offset. Which does not give you rubbing issues on stock fenders(unless your tucking of course).