View Single Post
Old 12-16-2011, 10:23 PM   #6
PrimeTimeSlime

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljess76 View Post
There's two parts to this system that are coded and must match in order to work.

First, the ECU, EWS module(located behind the glovebox) and transponder chip inside of the key all have to match each other.

Second, and this is completely separate from the items mentioned above, the EWS antenna ring(located around the ignition barrel) must match the EWS antenna module (located in the driver's side legwell next to the center console). If you swapped the ignition cylinder, you need to use your original 318ti's antenna ring. It's clipped to the ignition barrel and slides off. Otherwise, if you want, you could swap the EWS antenna module located in the driver's side legwell.

As long as those two items match and the other three items match, the thing should start. That being said, the two things don't have to match the three things. Think of it as two separate sub systems.

Ok, this is good info.

I replaced the small black ews box that sits to the left of the steering column under the drivers side leg well that the ring plugs in to. I am assuming this is the ews antenna module you are talking about, I thought it was the EWS module. I will look behind the glove box for the EWS box.

Does the ring itself have to match up or just the antenna module? I can't remember which ring we used.

"Some people like cupcakes better. I for one, care less for them"
PrimeTimeSlime is offline   Reply With Quote