View Single Post
Old 12-13-2011, 01:37 AM   #88
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ep1275 View Post
Hope you can help me with this question. I have a 3.73 lsd differential from a e30 325is in a 1995 318ti. It still has the e30 output flanges. I followed the how to article posted by Constant Yu at http://www.emotors.ca/Articles/7.aspx I took the inner cv joint off my own 1988 325is and tried to fit it to the 318ti axle (inner splined section), in order to make a hybrid axle that he describes in the article. The 325is (e30) inner cv joint just spun free on the smaller splines of the 318ti axle shaft. Basically, the inner cv joint from the e30 did not fit on the splines of the 318ti axle. I searched Real OEM, and cross referenced for cars that used the e30 325 axle and I did not find odd parts listings that I may be overlooking.

Also, will the e30 axles fit in the 318ti hubs? Will they just slide in, or am I going to run into spline alignment issues again? My concern is that the splines that go to the rear hubs will not mate up. Again, the the article, which I referenced earlier, stated that he could not swap the e30 axles in directly and needed to make a hybrid axle. Please help.
That guy "Constant Yu" has confused so many people with that writeup. It's full of misinformation. I think he also said that 6cyl e30 axles were longer than the ti axles which is completely false. 6cyl BMW's use medium case diffs while 4cyl BMW's use small case diffs. Medium case diffs are wider than small case diffs which means they require shorter halfshafts(axles). That being said, there's absolutely no reason to swap CV joints between the two halfshafts. If you run a medium case e30 diff, just use e30 halfshafts, period. The splines mate up with the ti hubs perfectly and they are the PROPER length. Ti halfshafts are too long to use with a medium case diff.
cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote