View Single Post
Old 03-03-2011, 06:28 PM   #30
cpatstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxJohnBoyxxx View Post
cpatstone ~ When you are looking for your weak/collapsed lifter do not just start pushing on one lifter then start on the next. You need to be sure you are on the compression stroke for the specific cylinder you are working on, then check all 4 lifters/springs/rollers for that specific cylinder, rotate motor and start the next cylinder. It is easy to confuse the compression stroke with the overlap stroke.

Overlap is when the piston is top dead center but the camshaft has both intake & exhaust valves open a tiny bit to cause scavenging to help pull the intake charge into the combustion chamber.

Best way to ensure your on the compression stroke is to make sure both intake & exhaust camshaft lobes highest lift point is 180 degrees from the roller on the rocker arm and lowest point on the camshaft lobe profile is on the roller.

You might have already known this but I wanted to put this out there just incase.

John Smith
I didn't know that specifically, especially re: scavenging. Thanks! In fact I was just reading that the M44 is in fact an interference motor.

When I had the valve cover off, I didn't even consider pushing on the springs/rockers. Figured it would take way more than hand pressure.

I did look at all of the springs and didn't see anything broken.

Last edited by cpatstone; 03-03-2011 at 07:07 PM.
cpatstone is offline   Reply With Quote