View Single Post
Old 01-19-2011, 10:39 AM   #34
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junk View Post
How does wasting fuel necessarily mean it's building up gunk? If it does gunk up, how much of that is still there after the first moderate throttle? I think they mean it wastes fuel because you're not moving. Yes it runs rich when cold, it will run rich when you drive off cold too. OK it will heat up faster when you drive off. You say it's BAD.. OK it's bad. I was wrong cold idling is very bad, 1 year, 30% more wear, runs rich, etcetc. You're telling me this means something, I'm telling you it doesn't. I'm not saying you're wrong..

THe BMW manual doesn't tell me why it's bad, I didn't expect it to and I didn't scan the BMW manual. What's FFS?

I'm sorry if I missed some points, but like I said the first two (make that three)articles didn't say much in the way I was looking for (detrimental effects ON THE MOTOR of idling a cold engine vs. driving off right away) so I quit lookin, You still haven't told me what wore out on the patrol cars.
What?!!! When your engine is cold or idling, it generally runs richer. "Rich" means the air/fuel ratio is heavy on the fuel side. In simple terms, the engine isn't sucking in enough air to mix with the amount of fuel being pumped into it. Rich=Cold Lean=Hot. A lean running engine(too much air) is just as bad as it's gonna run hotter and put extra strain and fatigue on other components. It's very important to have a perfect air/fuel mixture.

This excessive and partially burnt fuel from running rich gunks up a number of things including but not limited to your valves, pistons, exhaust and sensors. This causes your engine to run poorly/less effeciently. A poorly maintained/less efficient running engine has to work harder which in turn will make it wear out faster. It doesn't just "go away" after you start driving. If an engine is poorly maintained and gets 5mpg less than an engine that has been properly maintained, that adds up to a lot over several thousand miles. By starting your car and driving it, it reaches operating temperatures much faster. THIS REDUCES THE AMOUNT OF TIME IT WOULD BE RUNNING RICH, thus extending the life of your engine and NOT WASTING FUEL. If you read my first post in this thread, you'll see that I mentioned(BEFORE johnboy) that oil settles to the bottom of the engine and by driving your car immediately after startup, you actually help get the oil flowing through the engine faster. Johnboy made a good point about metal parts needing to expand. The thermostat is a no brainer. A stuck open thermostat will not allow the engine to reach operating temperature, a stuck closed thermostat will cause an engine to overheat and a wrong temp thermostat will cause it to run too hot or too cold. Remember what I said about Rich=?/Lean=?

The short term effects of letting your car idle would be fuel wasted due to the car sitting there waiting to reach operating temperature. The long term effects from a gunked up engine are much more severe considering fuel wasted by gunked up sensors, gunked up cats and decreased engine performance, efficiency and longevity. A poorly maintained and or rich running engine will produce more pollution(emissions) as well as consume and waste more fuel which is also bad for the environment. If millions of people are letting their cars idle and warm up in their driveway, how much fuel do you think is being wasted every day? I'd say that's worth mentioning if I was writing an article on the negative effects of letting your car idle.

Is it really that difficult to understand? Am I not speaking clearly enough? Did I not provide enough information? Why should I waste my time talking to someone who can't even read an article or watch a video, let alone do some of his own research and provide evidence to support his claims? I'm done with this discussion, it's like talking to a child that keeps asking "but why" just to annoy you.

So the articles I linked make multiple points on the consequences of letting your car idle. So what if they make mention of the environmental impact. It's not the only thing mentioned. Just because you skipped over the parts where it talks about effects on the engine, doesn't mean it's not there. I've went further out of my way than I'd expect anyone else to, which is much more than I can say for you. What more can I possibly do besides post links to articles, videos, scan pages out of the manual, give personal experiences as examples or take the time to repeatedly explain things in detail? Do you need a letter from BMW? It's not my job to school you. If you don't believe what multiple people and sources are telling you, or if you can't understand that running an engine rich is bad for it, then get off your ass and do your own research. Or don't. Keep believing whatever you want to and go through life clueless. I could care less either way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junk View Post
You still haven't told me what wore out on the patrol cars.
How in the heck should I know? Ever seen a cop tearing apart a motor on a police car?

Somebody else tell this guy what FFS means. He won't believe me or take the time to google it anyway

Last edited by cooljess76; 01-19-2011 at 01:11 PM.
cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote