View Single Post
Old 01-19-2011, 07:02 AM   #33
Junk

How does wasting fuel necessarily mean it's building up gunk? If it does gunk up, how much of that is still there after the first moderate throttle? I think they mean it wastes fuel because you're not moving. Yes it runs rich when cold, it will run rich when you drive off cold too. OK it will heat up faster when you drive off. You say it's BAD.. OK it's bad. I was wrong cold idling is very bad, 1 year, 30% more wear, runs rich, etcetc. You're telling me this means something, I'm telling you it doesn't.(by itself) I'm not saying you're wrong..

THe BMW manual doesn't tell me why it's bad, I didn't expect it to and I didn't scan the BMW manual. What's FFS?

I'm sorry if I missed some points, but like I said the first two (make that three)articles didn't say much in the way I was looking for (detrimental effects ON THE MOTOR of idling a cold engine vs. driving off right away) so I quit lookin, You still haven't told me what wore out on the patrol cars.

Just did a quick search.. all I could find was something about oil acids if the engine idling in cold weather and doesn't warm up (johnboys thermostat recommendation) and then maybe condensation sitting in the exhaust, but that will blow once you do drive. After looking at a few, brief articles?, they're mainly concerned with the environmental aspects..

Last edited by Junk; 01-19-2011 at 07:34 AM.
Junk is offline   Reply With Quote