View Single Post
Old 05-06-2010, 10:38 PM   #9
tonyyy

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.u.ti-ful View Post
Hard to say - also some people have had water in their plug wells that made for a bad idle. Usually after washing the engine or hitting a deep puddle hard.
Hmm, I haven't had any water near my car recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljess76 View Post
Did you happen to wash the car or leave it parked in the rain? Sounds like your ecu might have gotten wet. Kinda similar thing happened to me a long time ago in one of my old e36's. No water was involved, however I was driving it pretty hard(speeds nearing 240kph for a solid 20-30min). I pulled off the autostrada into a petrol station for a quick refuel. When I went to start the car, I heard a loud pop and then smoke started barreling out of the wheel well and from under the hood towards the windshield. The car felt like it was running on 5 cylinders. I shut it down immediately, had it towed to my buddy's shop and we traced it down to a blown ECU. The whole inside was completely fried. Anyway, that's the only time I've ever seen that happen out of the 7 e36's I've owned. May or may not be the case with your car, but it's worth checking out. You might also want to check the wires inside the junction box just forward of the cabin filters as well as the wires going to the starter and the fuse box. Best of luck Tonyyy, glad to hear you're still around and I hope you can get things sorted out.
That's almost exactly how it felt and smoked. I checked all the spark plugs, and they were all tight. But, one of them had oil in between the SP wire and the spark plug itself, clean oil. Maybe it got down inside there when I spilled a bit of oil a while ago? Shorted something out because I don't have a spark plug cover on my engine.

Thanks for all the help Jess!