View Single Post
Old 03-31-2010, 10:37 PM   #9
MPWR

I replaced mine with the USM's from the E46 M3. They're the beefiest OEM part that BMW sells (and will fit all E46/E36/E30), and they're supposed to be suitable for upgraded shocks. I'm going to keep an eye on them, I only installed them because they were the quickest option to get in hand.

UUC sells an upgraded version which I think may be better still, and Rogue Engineering apparently makes the best. If the E46 ones fail, that's probably my next upgrade.

Make sure that you use an enforcer plate with your USM's. BMW made these for the Z3, and they are an absolutely necessary upgrade for the ti (and other E36s). They can be had from Pelican etc, and several aftermarket companies (including UUC and Rogue) make their own also. If not used, the sheet metal that the USMs bolt into has a way of tearing- not good.

I did not notice that the USMs were deteriorated until I had the car up on a lift one day with the rear wheels hanging. A look into the wheel wells with a good light showed that the mountings were separating. I never would have suspected that a set of five month old mounts would fail- but it did finally explain the clunk/rattle from the rear that I hadn't been able to find.

'97 318ti M-Sport
'95 M3
BMWCCA
MPWR is offline   Reply With Quote