View Single Post
Old 02-04-2010, 10:08 PM   #4
chrisbec

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda View Post
Great...
Had the car up on stands, have driver side almost completely dismantled, except for the control arms and tie rods ( using a pickle fork but wasn't giving).
I sprayed some liquid wrench on it, and decided to do the shocks while I let it penetrate... and the spring compressor Autozone gave me is not the one to use our shocks!!!!....
Now I g=had to put everything back together and go to Autozone and get the RIGHT compressors so that I can try and continue tomorrow!!!!....
Were you using this type?

These work okay if you use an air hammer to turn the bolts, otherwise it is really tedious. I found it to be easier to un bolt the strut assembly from the hub and unbolt the strut bearing from the tower and remove strut assembly from the car. It is easier to do the spring work when you have lots of room to use the spring compressors.

As for ball joints I like to use these to seperate ball joints:

This tool isn't as destructive as the pickle fork on the ball joint boots (if you were reusing the ball joints). Only thing is that you have to be careful not to flare out or mushroom the threaded end of the ball joint or you may not be able to get the nut back on it. But since you are installing all new parts this won't be a problem for you.

One trick I've used on difficult ball joints is to take 2 similar sized hammers (one in each hand and have the faces of the hammer face each other) and smack the arm simultaneously on either side where rod end is. You have to use some force and some coordination , but it works. It will pop that ball joint right out of the arm. It is a little difficult to describe, but once you see it in action it's a no brainer.

R.I.P schwartz 1990 325is
chrisbec is offline   Reply With Quote