View Single Post
Old 05-14-2005, 04:59 AM   #15
Dredder

This is a pretty funny post. What a coincidence. I just went to a local lock smith thinking that I can copy my keys. I was 100% satisfied that my keys were not chipped. My 95 318ti did not come with EWS. Anyways, I went to this shop called ALVISTA and when the person told me it will not work I was kind of pissed. I ignored his advice and told him to cut the keys anyways. I was willing to pay for the material and labor. When the key was done it was perfect. It opens all my doors even turns the ignition power on. But he I started the car. Guess what? No go. I tried flipping the keys with no luck. To my surprise he was right. I called the BMW dealership and they told me that all of the 318ti keys (94 – 99) are equipped with a security chip. I was able to make it work by inserting my original keys then immediately replacing it with the copied keys. Well guys this is a lesson I had to personally experience. It costs me $25 to tell me I was wrong. If you want your keys copied go to the dealer spend that hard earned $45. Because at the end you know that key will guarantee to work.
Dredder is offline   Reply With Quote