View Single Post
Old 10-03-2008, 03:43 PM   #18
gambit

Hey man excellent post again but I need to clear up something important - unlike you guys in the US the tis here in UK don't have a bmw amp installed in the boot (trunk) so basically everything is just running straight from my new Pioneer head unit. Secondly - there is only one speaker in each door (tweeter with built in crossover as you can see the capacitor there) one in each kick (the woofer I been replacing) and one each in rear behind seats. (six in total). What I basically did was disconnect the stock tweeter in the left door and swapped the stock woofer in the left kick with different woofers as mentioned. On the right side I left in the stock kick speaker BUT I did swap the right door tweeter with an aftermarket one (DLS). ***on boths sides I kept the rear stock speakers in. Now you seem to know a lot about electronics which I don't! - but what's happening here when a polk audio woofer in the left kick doesnt sound very loud or clean compared to the stock ? - remebering that no power is being used up by the left door tweeter as I disconnected it. Further and heres where it gets tricky as I am an amateur - the aftermarket DLS tweeter in the right door that installed I INSTALLED INCORRECTLY - I didn't use the cross over wire that came with it as I thought this only needed to be used if you power speakers with an amp( I know basic error but I'm a noob). Anyway it gets worse the right door tweeter still worked when I did the testing !!! ( it has since blown though as I have learnt from my mistakes i.e. sending low freequencies to the tweeter). Hope your not too confused but this is the point - when I was testing the left kick with diff woofers the HU was directly powering: 1)this left kick aftermarket speakers 2)the right side kick stock speaker 3) an aftermarket tweeter in the right side door (installed wrongly without its crossover but still producing sound!!!); and 4) both rear speakers unchanged I know it's really messy! but if you can help I'd be most grateful and could make a small paypal donation as at the moment my in car audio is f***! Assuming that I have a decent HU there are two conclusions: 1) Immediately it should make the stock speakers sound better - which is true as they were worse with the stock head unit installed. 2) Based on 1) shouldn't it now be able to make new replacement speakers sound better than the stock as some new ones will have better specs etc. It just doesn't make sense to me that I cant go to a store, buy a relatively expensive new set and replace the stock to make an improvement - it's as if BMW made the stock speakers in such a way that they will be the best sounding speakers you will get to run off any head unit - stock or aftermarket. PS I think I beat you on long posts lol!
gambit is offline   Reply With Quote