View Single Post
Old 03-23-2005, 02:12 AM   #13
Bzuefishx

I have a buddy who has slowly put together a full Dinan M3 (E36 '99). When he bought it, it was a low mileage car in good shape - think he paid around $24 or $25 K.

Engine mods include Dinan intake, throttle body, HFM, and exhaust, plus necessary software, as well as suspension, brakes, and the best short shift kit I have ever used. Probably $5 K all together.

So he's done most everything, short of a supercharger, and the car is fast. And I'm not talking just highway fast, but zero to whatever fast. And it really has a split personality - handles and stops like a European sports car, but accelerates like an American muscle car. A blast to drive.

I tell you all of this because I am a little jealous. If I spent $10 to $12 K on my Ti, it still would not perform to the same level. That fact is something my friend reminds me of often, really whenever I talk about tuning my Ti.

But I got some good advice from my mechanic - anyone can have a hot M3, it's just a matter of how much money you want to spend. For me, his advice means the Ti is inherently a cooler car and worth tuning.

My goal for my Ti is to tune it into a giant go kart - not fast, but quick, handle extremely well, and stop on a dime.

Even with the DASC, it will never be as fast as my buddy's M3, but it won't be a slouch either. $3,000+ sounds like a lot, but I've found most worthwhile engine mods are pretty expensive. Again, quick, not necessarily fast.

Good handling is easy to achieve with the Ti. Starting with a small, light car, there are lots and lots of reasonably priced suspension mods available and a good wheel/tire package is easy to put together without breaking the bank.

Downer for me so far has been brakes (you may have read some of my other posts - can't seem to make up my mind). I've received lots of feedback that factory brakes are fine, but it's hot in Florida and I would feel more comfortable with more stopping power, especially after adding the DASC.

One of our regular posters had a good suggestion re: E46 330 brakes (fronts) and I'm currently exploring that option.

I think most Ti owners are pretty realistic about what they can expect to get out of the car. Having said that, I could easily spend the money on something else, but I believe the Ti is somewhat of a unique ride and definitely has potential. And most comparisons miss an important fact - performance is not cheap. Getting a good lease deal is one thing, but owning a low mileage M3 or WRX, much less tuning one, is an expensive proposition (props to AutoM3otives' E30 M3).
Bzuefishx is offline   Reply With Quote