View Single Post
Old 03-30-2008, 04:15 AM   #80
blndweasel

Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post
For you guys that have upgraded to Stainless Steel brake lines: Have you noticed a difference in feel in braking solely because of that?
Hey... I just finished my 330 brake upgrade today (finally) and also ran stainless lines throughout.

I would say that the difference isn't as noticeable as it is on most other applications. Reason being, the brake booster acts as a sort of buffer between the MC and the calipers.

On both my corvette, and on my motorcycle, I have upgraded to stainless lines, and the difference is definitely noticeable. However, both of those vehicles are manual brakes, no brake booster to dull the system's response. Very positive brake feel, and very sensitive modulation.

On the Ti, my thought is, if you need to replace the lines anyways, go with Stainless. Especially the lines from BAV auto, they have a protective plastic coating over the stainless weave to protect it from collecting grime. They're really nice. Check your fittings though, because one of my forward lines wasn't drilled at one of the fittings... effectively capped off my brakes at that caliper. Luckily I had a second set lying around.

The stainless lines don't include rubber silencers for the forward lines (the ones that clip into the strut). But you can easily cut the silencers off your old lines and install those.

Last thing, any set of 318 braided lines you buy, it seems are not specifically compatible with the Ti in this one sense: on the forward brake lines, the female thread doesn't have a wide bolster at the fitting, causing it to pop through the frame brake clip here. If you find an appropriately sized washer, you should be able to use it as a retainer clip. I just left mine slipped through the clip. Difficult to describe what I mean without a photo. Bottom line is eventually it will start squeaking once rust forms on the frame clip.

Worth $120? I dunno... Pretty sweet though.
blndweasel is offline   Reply With Quote